Insalata Caprese, Impromptu
- Two fresh tomatoes, sliced thinly.
(The ones pictured were local peak-season heirlooms, and they were luscious!)
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly.
- 8 large basil leaves, rolled and sliced into narrow ribbons.
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling.
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling.
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Arrange tomatoes on serving plate. Slip sliced mozzarella between tomato slices. Drizzle generously with oil and vinegar; garnish with basil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4 as a side dish.