Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lauren's Ooey Gooey Brownies

Tag-back Thursday- I'm going to attempt to make a recipe from another blog at least once a week and post the results on Thursdays.

This week, my favorite brownies EVER- low-carb, gluten-free, and totally friggin' amazing!


I made them in 'au bain marie' as she suggested, but left out the nuts. I have been making these to my family's delight since she posted the recipe, and they turn out wonderful. We've done a couple different variants; once we added quite a bit of cocoa powder, freshly grated cinnamon, and some ground chili pepper! Woo hoo! Right now I'm working on a version with a cheesecake layer for the holidays-- with her permission, I'll post the recipe if I get it to work out the way I want it.

Lauren's Brownies, with Blackberry-Vanilla Sauce, à la mode

Blackberry-Vanilla Sauce
  • 1 1/2 c. blackberries (we picked ours at Graysmarsh Farm)
  • 2 T. erythritol
  • 6 dr. stevia extract (or use 2 pkts of Splenda instead of stevia/erythritol)
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 t. freshly ground cinnamon
Set blackberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mush. Add sweeteners and simmer till thickened, about 5 minutes. (Depending on your blackberries, you may need to adjust the sweetener, more or less.) Stir in vanilla and cinnamon; simmer about 1 minute more. Allow to cool slightly, and serve over ice cream, brownies, whipped cream, or just about anything you like!

Keeps well in the fridge in an airtight container. I've never figured out how long it would last because its always gone within two days around here. I'd figure it would keep as well as any sugar-free jam might; at very least a week.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Gwuinifer! Gosh my mouth is watering. Blackberry sauce, brilliant! How long does it take to bake the brownies in your oven? Am always looking for feedback about that.

Keep cooking up luscious looking health food so I can drool at your pictures. :)

Gwuinifer said...

Lauren, thanks so much! Your blog always gets my engines going! :D

As far as bake time, I've found that the time varies a lot based on the container I make them in. I don't have the same size loaf pan you used in your test recipe; I've made a double recipe in a 9x9" glass pan, and it took about 40 min, and I've made it in twin baby dark-metal loaf pans, and that was done in about 30 minutes. Both I used the water bath. What surprises me is how fast those last couple of minutes go-- they are batter, batter, batter, and suddenly-- OVERDONE! So I'd recommend to anyone reading to check them every two minutes or so for the last 5-10min. of baking time till you figure out your oven/container peculiarities.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin